I love to make these as a side dish for Thanksgiving dinner. Cumin has been given credit for preventing Alzheimers. I like to buy the whole cumin seed because of the enhanced flavor. You can grind cumin with a motor and pestle or a Krups electric coffee mill, available on the second floor of Zabars.
- 1 lb brussel sprouts
- 1 ½ tbsp. olive oil
- 1/3 tsp. of cumin
- Pre-heat oven to 375°. For every one pound of brussel sprouts, use 1 ½ Tbsp. of olive oil and 1/3 tsp. of cumin. If brussel sprouts are large then cut in half lengthwise after blanching.Wash then slice off 1/16 of an inch of the stem end of each brussel sprout then cut a crisscross on stem end.
- Blanch ½ pound at a time in 2 cups of rapidly boiling water for 1 minute. Drain. Place in bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat iron skillet on high heat for 2 minutes. Add brussel sprouts. Do not overcrowd.
- Roast at 375° for 10 - 15 minutes.
- After the first 5 minutes, sprinkle with the ground cumin. Shake pan to flip brussel sprouts.
- When done remove from oven and sprinkle with a little salt. Drizzle with remaining ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil.