Chick Pea Stew ©Karen Lee 2011
Today I made for lunch: Roasted potatoes, braised kale and Chick Pea Stew. I love having a vegetarian lunch. It is light, low in calories and gives you a boost of energy. Chick Pea Stew is a good way to have your turmeric/cumin fix of the day.
- 1 cup of cooked chick peas (preferably dried, soaked, and simmered; see recipe below); you can substitute canned
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic (green stem removed), sliced
- ¼ cup diced leeks or onion
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/16 teaspoon cayenne or a tablespoon of finely diced fresh hot pepper (no seeds no membrane)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 2/3 cup diced ripe tomato
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil for finishing
- 1 cup of dry chick peas
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- Rinse a small saucepan with water and then dry over low heat. When water evaporates add the 1 tablespoon of olive oil and then the garlic; sauté for 2 minutes or until the garlic just begins to take on a light color.
- Add the leeks; continue to sauté for another minute.
- Then add the salt, cayenne, cumin and turmeric; slowly sauté for about 3 minutes stirring with a wooden spoon every once in a while and taking care not to burn the spices.
- Add the tomato; simmer for 5 minutes or until it has made a sauce.
- Add the chick peas; simmer another 2 minutes.
- Dish then drizzle extra virgin olive oil over all. Taste for salt.
- Measure and wash 1 cup of chick peas. Drain.
- Place in a large glass bowl and cover with water generously (about 7 inches).
- Place a plate or loose cover over the chick peas and allow to soak for 8 hours.
- Drain and discard the water.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium size saucepan. Add the chick peas, return to a boil. Add one bay leaf.
- With cover askew simmer one hour checking every 15 or so minutes; simmer until soft. You may need to add more water. The finished chick peas should just have a few tablespoons of water in the pan. Add salt at the end of the cooking time.
Anything left over can be stored in the frig for 5 days.
When the Indian spices are allowed to sauté slowly in the oil over low heat it brings out the flavor and health benefits.
½ cup of cooked beans a day is a good goal to have in your diet. Beans provide protein without fat and they add fiber. They have been given credit for lowering cholesterol and helping prevent heart disease. Additionally, chick peas are good for the kidneys.
If you choose canned chick peas, always rinse before using.
I love to have cooked chick peas in the frig ready to go because they are great in salads, soups, or to make hummus.
Never throw out the chick pea liquid: you can use it in soup or rice or as a substitute for stock in vegetarian cooking.
Cooked chick peas will last for 5 days in the frig.