A great way to use leftover turkey or chicken or duck is to make Fried Rice. This recipe is for Turkey Fried Rice made with your leftover Roasted Turkey.
The secret to cooking fried rice is to use cold leftover rice. Brown rice is considered a whole grain. Turmeric has been given credit for playing a role in preventing inflammation, acid reflux, and some even say cancer. Cumin is considered to be a healing spice in regards to the prevention of Alzheimer’s. Cayenne has been given credit for lowering cholesterol, fighting infection, and inflammation and is easy to digest.
You don’t have to have all these ingredients, just the spice mix, the rice, turkey, turkey skin and a few vegetables (onion, pepper, carrot will suffice). Sometimes I add corn to the mixture of vegetables. If adding corn, steam or boil for 4 minutes then shave off the kernels after steaming. I like to mix 2 or 3 different kinds of brown rice but just one kind is good too. If you prefer you can use white rice.
- Spice mix
- Measure all spices by scoop and sweep method i.e. level
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1 Tablespoon of peanut oil or pure olive oil
- 3 ½ cups cooked cold rice (see yesterday’s blog for Steamed Brown Rice)
- Generous ½ cup of turkey skin (leftover from your roasted turkey), diced
- 1 ½ tablespoons of peanut oil or pure olive oil
- 1 medium red onion diced, about 3/4 cup ( green stem removed)
- 1 leek diced
- 1/3 cup carrot diced (scrubbed but not peeled if organic)
- 1 Jalapeño pepper, diced (no seeds no membrane)
- ¾ cup diced red pepper (no seeds, no membrane)
- 1 cup diced leftover turkey meat
- Mix together the spice mix: curry powder, cumin, turmeric, paprika, salt, cayenne, and 1 tablespoon oil.
- Make rice and let cool, then refrigerate until cold. This can be done in the morning or the day before. Or just use left-over rice.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. To make the roasted turkey skin crisp, place in an iron skillet and roast in the oven about 15-20 minutes.
- Heat an iron skillet or a steel wok over high heat for about 2 minutes. Turn the heat to medium and add 1 tablespoon oil. Add red onions and leeks. Sauté until translucent. Add carrots and sauté another minute. Add Jalapeno and red peppers; sauté another minute. Remove contents of wok to a dish.
- In the same skillet (or wok), add another 1 ½ tablespoons oil; add rice, turn heat to high. Press down on the top of the rice with a spatula then sauté about 2 minutes breaking up the rice. Turn heat to medium and add the spice mix and continue to stir fry a minute. Then add the turkey; stir a few seconds. Empty contents of skillet (or wok) onto a serving platter.
- Drape the vegetables over the rice.
- Top with the crispy turkey skin.